Travels in Australia

Monday

Plans Already

As many of you know, Adam was a member of a youth orchestra, and he was quite proficient at the trombone. I've only managed to get him to play for me once, but I imagine him to have been a wonderful performer. Of course as we all know, when it comes to Adam I am extremely biased (as should be expected). I keep trying to convince him to take up the trombone again, as it would be a great distraction from all things medicine.


Anyway, since Adam is a trombone player, he is a big fan of brass quintets. To honor his love of this particular music, many of you may recall, we had a brass quintet play at our wedding. Since Adam is the expert (at least between the two of us) of this genre, he was in charge of selecting the music. He chose, and I think it suited the occasion fantastically, Pictures at an Exhibition for the processional.


Pictures at an Exhibition was Mussorgsky's posthumous tribute to his friend, the artist Victor Hartmann. "Pictures at an Exhibition was written as a group of pieces for piano in 1874. The pictures were mainly watercolours, painted by Victor Hartmann, a friend of Mussorgsky. The piece is a musical description of walking around an exhibition of Hartmann's paintings. A recurring 'Promenade' movement represents the visitor. Each of the pieces has a movement conjuring up the mood invoked by the picture, or in some cases even painting the picture in music. Unfortunately, many of the original pictures no longer exist and Mussorgsky's music is all we have to remember them by."
(http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A536410)


As luck would have it, within days of my planned arrival in Australia the Sydney Symphony will be performing Pictures at an Exhibition at the Concert Hall of the Sydney Opera House. I am still planning to arrive in Sydney sometime over the Thanksgiving weekend. Though schools still have not published their summer schedules or applications, which is really frustrating me. You all know how I like to plan ahead.


Hopefully I'll get to Sydney in time for the Symphony, and as of now I can't foresee why I wouldn't. What a great way to kick off my time in Australia, at least from a tourist perspective. Of course, it goes with out saying the best part will be being with my pup. The Symphony is just a bonus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home