Travels in Australia

Thursday

What to post when I have no word from Adam?


I suppose it should be difficult for me to come up with material to post when I don't have anything to share from Adam, but there are so many things to discuss about Australia. I'm going to start my "unrelated to Adam in Sydney" postings with something of a book review.


If you haven't read In a Sunburned Country by Bill Bryson you must! It is wonderfully written and great fun. BB makes you feel like you're travelling through the outback with him and his insights into the Australian people and culture are terrific. I found the historical anecdotes to be an excellent addition to the book and a great way to explain the evolution of the country's personality. Besides being marvelously funny, with incredible stories, it truly made me realize that even though I've been to Australia I know very little about it, and it turns out I am no where near alone in that regard.


What people think of Australia is really quite amazing. When Adam would tell people what his plans were for this coming year, pupils would dilate, mouths would drop, and eventually expressions of awe would take over. People would report how amazing his experience would be, some jealousy would be expressed, and ultimately he would receive good luck wishes. But when Adam or I would ask whether the person he was telling about his fellowship had ever been to Australia the answer was always something like "no but I'd love to I've heard its amazing." Why is that so many of us would love to visit Australia but never have? Is it solely because of the distance? Has going to Australia become an unattainable American dream? If that's the case, I am certainly blessed by this opportunity. I'll be able to boast having visited Australia twice, each for a period of 4-months. I can say I am one of the few, the proud, the antipodean explorers.

Kangaroos... emus... koalas... wombats... look out... I'm coming back!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home