Travels in Australia

Sunday

Reality TV

This posting falls into "the about Australia and things Australian" more than about our (the Rubins') presence down under category. We turn now to Australian bands...

While I occasionally watch "reality tv" shows they are not my favorite form of small screen programming. But this summer when INXS, a band I was quite fond of back in the day, put on competition for a new front man, I was sucked in. Unlike American Idol, Rockstar Inxs had me coming back every week to find out who made the cut and who had to go.

I can't say that I really enjoyed watching or listening to the hostess, Brooke Burke; I found her more annoying than entertaining. But the singers were great and Dave Navarro is just awesome; I hope keeps his word and plays with some of the competitors who I am sure will put out their own records.

Now that the show is over and a lead singer has been selected, one must ask... can a Canadian front an Australian band? Nevermind that the man in question could be the child of most if not all of the original INXS members. While I can't argue that JD isn't a great singer, he is fantastic and his talent for arranging music is terrific, his personality for what ever reason did not seem to jive with that of INXS.

And yes, JD professed to want this gig more than anything and I can't even count how many times he confessed that INXS was his favorite band and his life long dream was to sing with them. To me all that rang of 'kissing up'. I suppose we can say that at least he comes from a Commonwealth country and so there are a few cultural similarities. But really, can you imagine being in a band with someone that could be your father?
At the end of the day I think Marty would have been a better choice. While perhaps he doesn't have the sultry sex appeal of JD, he comes across, at least to me, as more mature and a better fit for INXS. Speaking of those who didn't make it... how about Jordis? I thought she was amazing and can't wait to see where she takes her career.

I guess we'll just have to wait for the album release to truly see if young (mind you he's my age), Canadian JD can fit in with a bunch of older Aussies.

2 Comments:

  • You took the words right out of my mouth!! I was sucked in to this show, as well. Never missed a one. I agree that Marty was fantastic and was the most mature and I really wondered if the band was thinking along those lines...guess not! At first I really didn't care for JD, but then when he sang his version of "California Dreamin" and showed alittle more talent...I was pretty hooked on him. I really think that he will give the band a great sound, I just hope his "head" doesn't get away from him. Marty was so good and I also agree with you about Jordis. Man...that girl could sing,as well as Susie Mcneil, although I really wondered, even from the beginning, if INXS really would want a female singer for their band. I felt that they had to be "politically correct", but felt that the girls were pawns. I too, am looking forward to the release of Jordis and Marty's music. That was a fantastic show and I also agree with you about Dave Navarro. He was excellent! And agreed again about Brooke Burke....YUK!! They ended the shows season by saying, stay tuned for next years show...I wonder what or who it is??? Enjoyed your blog...Thanks for sharing.....Lj

    By Blogger TRANQUILLITY BASE, at 12:46 AM  

  • Thanks for your endorsements. It would have totally rocked if I won that competition. Oh well.

    By Blogger Martin, at 1:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home