Travels in Australia

Thursday

Toto, are we or aren’t we in Kansas anymore?

As I mentioned briefly in my first posting from Sydney, I feel like I’m at home; mainly because I am surrounded by so many things from the States. Last time I mentioned a few TV shows, well now that I’ve been here for nearly two weeks I can safely add a few more to that list, like Oprah, Dr. Phil, Judge Judy (why she’s here is beyond me) Gilmore Girls, Scrubs, Will & Grace, the Today show, yes people Katie and Matt have a home here in Sydney, and last but by no means least, as who could live without USA daytime TV programming, soap operas.


I can also name a few other items made in the USA to the list of what you can find Down Under. Such as, Starbucks! Yes, my dear friends, my “favorite” purveyor of coffee based beverages have landed in Oz. Unlike at home though one doesn’t find the Seattle based coffee distributor on every other block but rather in a few select areas. The prices aren’t any better here, 4.95 AUS for a Mocha… robbery! Another import, which is dear to my heart, is Target. Can you believe it, a little bit of the Midwest has made its way here. Adam and I went off last weekend to Featherdale Wildlife Park (pictures and details to follow below) and when we got off the train, there standing before us was a shopping center and Target (bull’s eye and all). Perhaps the time has come for me to revamp my 1994 paper on the Americanization of Australia.


On to our escapades… week one was basically spent getting reacquainted with the city and me sleeping off the jetlag. It’s amazing how going to sleep at 9:30 pm for 6 days straight can really rejuvenate a person. The weekend was great; besides the company (spending ones days alone can be boring). On Saturday Adam’s co-fellow, Linda, was married and we went to the wedding at the lovely Vauclause House, and after a lovely afternoon tea, Adam and I were off to the Opera House for the Sydney Symphony performance of Pictures at an Exhibition (see earlier blog posting). The performance was excellent and later that night we were able to rejoin the wedding festivities at a near by restaurant. (Picture of Adam and Linda and posting wedding 'party'.)



Sunday found us on the train to Blacktown and the Featherdale Wildlife Park. At the park we were able to get up close and personal with some of the native fauna (see earlier blog postings about the wombat, koala, and kangaroo). Unfortunately, the wombats did not want to come out of their burrows but we did pet kangroos and koalas.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home